Monday, January 2, 2012

An excerpt from my book... yes, I'm writing again!

... in which ten week old puppies, Hope and Proper, meet Driver, an old yellow lab.



A spring breeze tickled Hope’s butt and she zoomedby her brother. “Whee! Proper catch me! What a fun place this is!” The two madea big loop, rounded a corner and headed back toward the house, as fast as theirpuppy legs could barrel them. Proper crashed into Hope when she brought herselfup short, eyes fairly popping out of her head.
“Proper,” she whispered. “What is that?
Ahead of them stood the largest dog they had everseen. The puppies dropped their ears and their tails. They poked forward withtheir noses, trying to smell some sense of the situation.  Hope inched closer to the giant.
“Hello, Sir.” 
She sniffed as she approached. “Oh,I’ve met your scent on my Emily! It’s an honor to meet you. I’m Hope, and thisis my brother, Proper. We’ve just arrived.”
The giant dog padded over to them. His head isbigger than all of me, thought Hope. He was golden. His big ears droopeddown the side of his face, his nose was fat, and that thick tail! Woosh! Hope ducked as it wagged.The puppiescircled around him, their own tails tucked tightly between their legs, wigglinglike caught fish.
“Puppies! I love puppies!” said the big dog. Hepoked his fat nose up Hope’s hoochie, and snuffled, “Girl.” Hope did a modestbody curl, air-licking and grinning. The giant flipped Proper right over,getting a snoot full of his winkie. “Boy,” he proclaimed. The big yellow dogflopped down on the ground and rolled onto his back.
Hope and Proper thought maybe, just maybe this hugedog might be in possession of a milk bar like their Mother’s. They bounced overto investigate.
“Oh, no, little ones! Sorry to disappoint! Here,check out my teeth; there may be a bit of leftover breakfast hanging around.You’re welcome to anything you find. I’m Driver, by the way. Most everyonecalls me Ol’ Uncle Driver. The humans started that. I’m not actually anyone’suncle. Silly humans.”
Hope and Proper licked Driver’s gums and stuck their skinnysnouts practically clear down his throat. It was fascinating in there. Like abig cave, with bits of sticks and a blade of grass or two. Hope even found alittle piece of biscuit way in the back.


***************************************

hug your hounds and wish me luck